Ethanol Lab Intern
Position Reports To:
Directly: Director of Quality Assurance and Food Safety
Indirectly: Laboratory Supervisor
Performs laboratory tests to determine chemical and physical characteristics or composition of plant process samples for such purposes as quality control, process control, or product development by performing the following duties.
BASIC DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
- Collects samples for lab analysis at specified locations, stages of processing and time interval.
- Ability to understand and perform lab tests on process samples using wet chemistry methods, microbiological testing and light microscopy techniques. Prepares samples for testing by analytical equipment.
- Sets up, adjusts and operates laboratory equipment and instruments such as liquid chromatography, Ion chromatography, pH meters, chemical balance scales, spectrophotometer and other equipment.
- Performs Quality Assurance/Control analysis on instruments, tools and methods.
- Performs quality control testing on final products to verify conformity to specifications.
- Records test results on standardized form, enters daily test results into plant database and communicates this information to appropriate personnel.
- Maintains safety in the lab by using personal protective equipment as needed, proper labeling of chemical containers, being familiar with Material Safety Data Sheets and maintaining cleanliness of lab.
- Prepare stock chemicals for lab use.
- Cleans and sterilizes laboratory equipment.
- Calibrates laboratory instruments.
- Prepares chemical solutions according to standard formulas.
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance at all times.
- Maintain a team environment at all times and champion PureField in the community.
- We are all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skill may be put to a lot of other uses!
STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- Completed junior level courses majoring in Chemistry (preferred) or Biochemistry.
- Experience working with HPLC, analytical balance, pipettes
- Excellent organizational, time management and communication skills and the ability to adapt to change.
- You communicate effectively in writing and in person.
- You have the ability to understand technical and day to day operation of a bioprocessing facility.
- You know the basics of Microsoft Office Suite. You’re capable of learning new programs.