Process Shift Supervisor
Position Reports To
General Utility, Mill Utility Operator, Process Utility Operator, Mill/Process Operators
- Responsible for overseeing the production crew and operation of the plant while working a 12-hour rotating shift schedule.
- Responsible for ensuring maximum production quantity and quality, while supporting the policies, goals and objectives of the company.
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of production and operations of milling and gluten processes within standards set by PureField Ingredients.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Meet with Operations Manager to discuss production parameters and daily tasks.
- Constantly review the operation of the plant to monitor production and quality, anticipating and solving problems in a timely manner, and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Participate in projects that improve efficiency and/or reduce operating costs.
- Maintain adequate records of key production variables such as production volume, yield, plant uptime, utility consumption, etc., on a daily, weekly, and/or monthly basis, as required.
- Facilitate communication directly with quality assurance (QA) laboratory to ensure effective participation in the implementation of QA policies and procedures.
- Monitor the sampling and testing of process streams as required by the QA program and procedures.
- Understand and help crew interpret QA results to ensure appropriate action is taken, when required.
- Assist Operators and Utility Operators with sample collection and testing, as needed.
- Ensure Operators and Utility Operators are cleaning areas according to master cleaning schedules.
- Responsible for handling unexpected and emergency situations within the plant and the safety of employees.
- Communicate with other Shift Supervisors to provide information on any changes or problems that occurred during the shift.
- Troubleshoot operations to find production problems and correct them.
- Complete production reports using 24-hour process and mill production and master cleaning schedule for Operations Manager and Plant Manager.
- Attend all facility safety meetings.
- Conduct annual employee performance appraisals on direct reports with Operations Manager and Plant Manager.
- Assist in meeting additional requirements brought on by the absence of key employees holding various food safety obligations.
- Create and distribute work requests to the operations manager and maintenance manager to coordinate maintenance and repair work in process areas.
- Follow and enforce the procedures of the Safe Work programs, including Confined Space, Hot Work, and Lock-out Tag-out.
- Ensure follow through of completing items listed on master cleaning schedules to ensure plant cleanliness.
- Monitor use and inventories of process chemicals and supplies.
- Understand and follow all SQF and FSMA policies.
- Additional duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent certificate required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Basic math and communication skills.
- Physical ability to perform the functions of the position.
- Basic computer skills.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Prefer minimum of 2-years of experience in flour/gluten processing.
- Raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of flour and gluten.
- Machine and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
- Critical thinking.
- Reading comprehension.
- Monitoring self and personnel.
- Time management.
- Complex problem solving.
- Combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions.
- Apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
- Work and cooperate with all members of PureField Ingredients in a professional and courteous manner.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, climb, bend and walk.
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- Significant time will be spent in the plant.
- May be exposed to loud noises, wet and humid conditions, airborne particles, and extreme hot and cold depending on weather conditions.
- Must be able to climb ladder.
- Must be able to speak and listen clearly.
- Fine visual acuity to read for accuracy.
- Travel may be required, as needed.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: This job may require lifting of up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- All candidates must have a high school education or equivalent.
- Pre-employment screening, including drug testing and criminal background checks.