Wheat Protein Lab Intern
Position Reports To:
Directly: Director of Quality Assurance and Food Safety
Indirectly: Laboratory Supervisor
The Laboratory Intern will be responsible for implementing the quality assurance (QA/QC) program for the wheat plant to ensure maximum production quantity and quality, while supporting the policies, goals, and objectives of the company. The Laboratory Intern will also participate in special projects related to raw material analysis and composition, food safety, and R&D work on finished ingredients.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Assist in implementing plant QA/QC program.
- Ensure county, state, and federal regulations relating to the QA/QC laboratory are met at all times.
- Ensure effective participation by the process operators in the implementation of QA/QC policies and procedures.
- Collect, process and test samples.
- Conduct laboratory testing following AACC and AOAC methods
- Aseptically collect environmental monitoring swabs/sponges.
- Collect and mail customer sample requests.
- Collect and mail samples for outside lab analysis.
- Retain samples form start of production to finished product.
- Monitor use and inventories of lab chemicals and supplies.
- Operate, maintain, and calibrate lab equipment.
- Prepare reports, analyze data, and make recommendations for adjustments.
- Participate in programs and procedures required to ensure lab and plant cleanliness.
- Additional duties, as assigned.
- Follow the procedures of the Safe Work programs, including Confined Space, Hot Work and Lock-out Tag-out.
- Participate in programs and procedures required to ensure plant cleanliness.
- Understand and follow all SQF and FSMA policies.
- R&D special projects may include analysis of finished products in application, investigative projects on process improvements, and research into ingredient functionality.
Education / Certification
- High school diploma required.
- Enrolled in Food Science or Grain Science Program or have completed BS in related study
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Must understand food processing, food safety, food regulations via coursework or previous food manufacturing experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong creative and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with internal and external customers.
- Ability to maintain good relationships with internal and external customers, use tact and diplomacy, and possess a customer service focus.
- Strong analytical abilities, problem solving skills, negotiation skills, dispute resolution, and ability to overcome obstacles.
- Manage multiple priorities with efficiency and accuracy.
- Ability to anticipate needs and accomplish necessary tasks.
- Strong motivational ability.
- Act with honesty and integrity.
- Majority of time will be spent in a temperature-controlled laboratory. Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time. Able to view computer screen for lengths at a time. Some time will be spent in the plant. May be exposed to loud noises, wet and humid conditions, airborne dust particles, extreme hot and cold depending on weather conditions. Must be able to speak and listen clearly. Fine visual acuity to read for accuracy
This job may require lifting of up to 50 pounds occasionally.